2.26.2013

I Hold These Truths to be Self-Evident


I know that you are afraid this isn’t politically correct, aren’t you?
I am afraid I have some terrible news for you: We are all sick and we are all allergic and we are all keeping secrets.
I am afraid that society is disintegrating. He’s religious? Cut him down.  Excuse me, tell him he isn’t open minded. He has morals? Tell him he is old fashioned. Welcome to the 21st century , ladies and gentlemen! They say. Welcome to America where the lazy live long and the unrepentant are forgiven.  This is glorious, this is Oz. This is food rolled in plastic and pills rolled in plastic, this is debt hidden in our sleeves as if it a material thing to wrap.
I am afraid the earth is seriously ill. I am afraid we assume that the lightning can't catch us just because the police couldn't. It can.
 

 

But don't you fear now. I am afraid of being caught too. 
I am afraid of being forgotten for who I am, but remembered for who I was. 
I am afraid I don't feel enough because I didn't cry when I was supposed to. I was afraid you would catch that.
I am terribly afraid of potential. It used to give me hope because I couldn't even see the end of my promise, but oh how I am scared of heights these days. I was not prepared to fall that far. 
I fear that fears will always follow me... that maybe the things I love and the things I fear will always be drawn to me because they are a part of me. 
                 

I am afraid I have some terrible news for you: You are afraid, too.
I am afraid I have some wonderful news for you: There is less to fear than there is to love. 
The truth is a beautiful and terrible thing: try not to tread too lightly.

4 comments:

  1. "I am afraid I have some terrible news for you: We are all sick and we are all allergic and we are all keeping secrets." Stealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are wonderful.
    In reply to your comment: I check my blog all the time still. Half of it is habit, half is hope. Thank you for making me feel like I still exist:)

    Also, this post was amazing. You speak truth that nobody knows how to articulate. And you do it well. Thank you for this. I want to quote a line, but they were all too good. Every single one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'm afraid we assume that the lightning can't catch us just because the police couldn't."

    I love this. It's different. And breath taking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was so good. I am stealing the line: "I am afraid I have some terrible news for you: You are afraid, too." Thanks.

    ReplyDelete