3.18.2013

The Someone's that made me


My dad can never remember song lyrics and neither can I.
Like my mom, I smell books before I read them and close my eyes to feel music.
I like science like my sister, but she will always be better at it than me.
My other sister and I both had really weird friends as children… we were probably un-admittedly friends after all.
My brother hates cutting his nails and hair like I do.
I am passive-aggressive just like my grandma.
I have the same sense of humor as my aunt and stubbornness as my cousin.
My chin, hair, eyes, chest, and politics all come from my mom’s side of the family but I get my pop culture, feet, and hobbies from my dad’s.
I was made before I was born, with bits of me here and bits of me there. In my long ancestral line, somebody before me donated their kneecaps to my legs and their love of words to me. I am a coalition of all that is past, a representative of all the Thems. If Ethel and Wilmur could just touch me now, they would know that they were real too.

4 comments:

  1. "I smell books before I read them and close my eyes to feel music."
    -stolen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great lines here. The smelling books line. The kneecaps.

    It gave me a great idea. Do this, but instead of just talking about family members, talk about everything from your past. Your bunk bed, the cast on your left arm in 5th grade, your backyard, your mom's cookies, the stars watching you sleep out on the trampoline, etc.

    #writingideas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually think about this all the time...But you put it beautifully into words. It's really amazing and now I'm going to be thinking about it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're lucky. I wish I could distinguish where I'm from.

    ReplyDelete