5.21.2013

Insecurities

I remember getting glasses in kindergarten. My mom had to walk me in to class because I was so embarrassed. I remember the days that I had to wear a sticky eye patch at home and how I wouldn't go to Chuck-E-Cheeses with Ben because I was wearing my eye patch and a dress so obviously I was a loser.
In third grade I scored a goal during a soccer scrimmage and I was so excited because it was the first goal I had ever made. It was the wrong side.
One time I asked a question in fourth grade and the whole class said "she talks!" and that made me feel so dumb that I never spoke again.
My fifth grade teacher was afraid I didn't have any friends and I was afraid I didn't have any friends, too.
In sixth grade I told my teacher I hurt my ankle so I wouldn't have to play dodgeball against _____ __________ and ____ ____. That was probably a good idea.
I ate lunch by myself mostly every day in Junior High. I pretended I was waiting for somebody but I was not. I only packed half sandwiches because the skinny girls ate half sandwiches.
When high school started I still changed in the bathroom before PE instead of against the locker wall.
I sat a few lunches in the library and read a few books on friday nights.
I remember the days that I felt really lonely, but also inexplicably happy. I don't know anything about rooftops with boys or convertibles with music, but I know a lot about how to use a semicolon and how to be really happy. High school is not a full circle ending but a progression (and thank goodness for that).

1 comment:

  1. This is so vivid. It's incredible.
    And heartbreaking...

    ReplyDelete